I thought it might help to have a photo of the colors I currently have available for my fleece “Hug Me! Slugs“, and so I stacked them up. (Note: I’ve updated this photo since the original post, to reflect the colors I currently have.) I’ve realized that colors look different from one computer monitor to the next, but it gives the general idea. I’m not sure what I’ll do when I run out of some, and add others…but for now, it’s something 🙂
When I’m doing a lot of sewing, like I have been this week, or when I’m making things with my hands, activities that don’t require writing or talking, I’ve noticed many times that it seems to turn off the verbal part of my brain. I’ll think in pictures or colors or shapes, or I’ll put things together in my mind. Then I find I don’t have as much to say, or I can’t think of anything to say at all. I find that pretty funny since, normally, I talk quite a bit. I wonder if it’s possible to forget how to talk altogether, if I were to stop talking long enough. If my blog posts become shorter and shorter, you’ll know what happened!
I’ve been trying out some new presser feet for my sewing machine. That’s little Beulah Bunny, enjoying her new apron pocket. Husqvarna Viking keeps coming out with new, clear versions of their presser feet, which make certain tasks a lot easier. So far, I have their Clear B Edge Stitching Foot, (below left), and their Clear Open Toe Foot, (below right).
The Clear B Edge Stitching Foot helps quide you along edges while you do decorative stitching. The Open Toe Foot is great for machine appliqué stitching, because you can see where you are going, when you are following a raw edge or a line. Both have a tunnel on the underside to allow the bulk of your decorative stitching to slide through without jamming anything up.
I used a chalk pencil to mark a straight line on my fabric, when I was putting my decorative stitching on my apron pocket. Then I used the Edge Stitching Foot to follow my line. That kept my decorative stitching nice and straight.
Happy Memorial Day to everyone!
“Greta”, my new chrysanthemum flower baby fairy is finished!
She has an antique reproduction baby face of papier mâché
. Her head and pointed ears are paperclay
, and her body is 100% cotton cloth. Her pale green butterfly wings with yellow spots are hand quilted and she is entirely hand painted with acrylic paint. She will be sealed with matte varnish for protection.
She has hidden button joints
which make her posable, just like “Rosa
” who left for her new home at the beginning of this week. I managed to get a few pictures of them together before she left on her journey.
Greta has an oak-colored stand that lifts her in the air so she can practice flying, and running through the air. She enjoys that.
Update: Greta and Rosa have been adopted. Thank you!
I’m also introducing some mini art plaques. I’ve painted 6 by 6 inch solid poplar wood to coordinate with my artwork and mounted several reproductions of my original watercolors on them. Above are “The Fairy and the Dove
” and “Fairies and Butterflies
This blog is meant to continue where our “In Progress” page left off. I’ve switched to a blog format to allow for greater ease in keeping everyone updated on our most recent paintings, giclées, art quilts, and art dolls.
I’ve also been working on a new web site, The Art of Elizabeth Ruffing. It features my personal studio blog, which offers a behind-the-scenes look at my studio and my latest creations. Please visit and have a look around!