I made this set of mini art quilts mostly from cotton batiks, with an occasional cotton print thrown in. I started by paper piecing the backgrounds where I could. In a couple of places, like on the background for the sun, I made a pattern piece in a curved shape and cut it out from my paper-pieced section, then sewed it to another section.
I used fusible interfacing to stiffen the moon, star, and sun shapes before I machine appliquéd
them onto my backgrounds. I experimented with different machine stitches along the raw edges of the shapes.
I used Pigma pens, which are permanent ink markers, to draw the faces on my moons, sun, and flower.
I added layers of organic cotton batting and cotton duck/canvas underneath my designs, then did some machine quilting on the surfaces.
I had intended to sew bias strips around the edges, but opted to use cotton terrycloth as a backing right up to the edges. I placed the terrycloth and the designs right sides together, sewed a 0.25 inch seam, left an opening, then turned them right sides out. I also added loops of cotton which were folded and top stitched to the tops for hanging. The openings were then slip stitched closed. I used some embroidery floss for ties in several places on the back just for stability.
Original designs, art quilts, and photos copyright Elizabeth Ruffing, all rights reserved.
I made this set of potholders by sandwiching one layer of cotton duck/canvas between two layers of organic cotton batting, then sandwiching those between two layers of cotton terrycloth (I used cotton washcloths), all roughly 9.5 inches square. I used my walking foot to quilt the layers together. Then I trimmed them down to 8.5 inches square with my rotary cutter and ruler.
Since I didn’t have enough of my polka dotted cotton to make a true bias, I cut 2.5 inch strips and sewed them on the edges of the potholders without turning the corners. I put the strips right sides against the terrycloth, on one edge at a time, sewed a 0.5 inch seam, turned each strip over to the back, turned under the raw edge to match the front, slipped stitched it down, and then top-stitched it down from the front side. I did all four edges this way, turning under the corners where necessary so no raw edge was left out, but leaving about 5 inches of the strip loose at the final corner.
At the final corner, I took the 5 inches of the strip I left loose, turned under the raw edge, then flipped it over on itself to make a loop for hanging, which I then sewed down by hand on the back of the potholder.
We then tested them out on some homemade cheesecake, and they worked great 🙂
This is Leah. She is very new to the universe.
Leah is impatient to learn all she can about the solar system, other galaxies, all the planets, moons, other stars, and especially Earth.
Everything is new to her.
Leah especially enjoys comets and the occasional rockets she sees go by.
She always waves to them. Sometimes they wave back. Leah is always friendly.
She is a remarkably good-natured and happy baby.
Leah is an original one-of-a-kind work of art, created from my own design and pattern.
She is signed and dated.
Leah is entirely handmade. Her body is made of 100% cotton, and painted with acrylic paint. Her bottom is weighted so she can sit nicely while she looks around, and she is also jointed at her shoulders and hips, in case she gets tired and needs to lie down to take a nap.
Leah is approximately 8 1/2 inches tall when seated, and approximately 11 inches long when lying down.
Leah also comes hang tag, a certificate of authenticity, and a copy of her story.
Update: Leah the Star Baby has been adopted. Thank you!