I was planning a sincere effort to add new Paperclay feet with shoes to my doll project when it occurred to me that it would be a much better idea to do all my paperclay-ing at once. I knew I had a few unfinished dolls sitting around. So, I pulled them out and discovered that a lot of their bits were missing their pieces. I started cutting and sewing and stuffing. I’d been sewing arms and legs for a couple of days when, again, it occurred to me that it would be a much better idea to just make new legs for my doll, legs with new and improved feet…feet that already have shoes. Then I wouldn’t need to make her new paperclay feet at all.
So, I made more legs.
Looking at this pile of body parts, I’m not sure if I have actually created more or less to do. I think it may be a matter of perspective.
I made this pink cotton dress from scratch today. I designed the dress, made the pattern, cut it out, and sewed it together…whew. It has a ruched sash and decorative tucks above the hem. I got the inspiration for the dress from the old Izannah Walker dolls. The fabric is covered with little pale pink chrysanthemums. I was cutting out another chrysanthemum print for my quilt the other day and along the selvage was printed, “Chrysanthemums say I’m hoping tomorrow is the day.”
Hopefully I will get to making this poor girl some Paperclay shoes soon. Maybe tomorrow is the day!
is waiting for some new feet. I have been experimenting with Li-Qua-Ché pourable papier mâché and Creative Paperclay over fabric. I’ve got the basic modeling of this doll’s head done, and I’ve set her up in a bowl so I can get to her hands and feet without worrying about them denting on the table as I sculpt. Sitting on my desk this way, she reminds me of someone floating by on a raft in a swimming pool. She doesn’t look like she minds the wait.